Not Taking it for Granted

So, I've been down the last few days about my taking the wrong course at the White Rock Marathon.  I had trained for and was mentally prepared to go 26.2 and  with one simple mis-read of a sign, I was robbed of a marathon finish.  I felt that I wasted valuable training time, I didn't complete what I set out to achieve and well, just wanted to go back in time and fix it.

As most of you fellow triathletes know, we can easily obsess on just about everything race-related.  How to drop seconds off our transition times ... Will that aero helmet really improve my bike time? ...  How can I improve my nutrition plan? We want to be the best that we can be at a sport that seems to give back to us as much as we put into it.

But, seriously.  What do I have to complain about?  I realize that I should be so thankful for my health and that I was able to complete a half without any problems or injuries.   I will go on to run more marathons, triathlons and the like.  I should be thankful and not dwell on the mistake.  In the scheme of things, it's just not that big of a deal. 


I came across this movie trailer for a movie called "ATHLETE" - a documentary that profiles four individuals - a cancer survivor, a blind senior citizens and two twin sisters who compete in marathons and triathlons.  I haven't seen the movie, but the trailer already has me inspired. Enough of my pity party.

4 comments:

Patrick Mahoney said...

Well said, but I know how you feel.

KovasP said...

Maybe because I'm older, but I don't obsess nearly as much as when I was younger. I think on some level I'm just happy I can still participate. Good to hear you're coping well.

Jason said...

Excellent self-reflection Shannon. It can be a tough cycle sometimes but always time heals all. It allows us to look back and reflect on the accomplishment and not on the 'failure'

Now, how do we get this movie? When does it come out? I want to put this right up there with The Distance. If you haven't seen that yet let me know and I'll drive it up to you to watch b/c it is awesome.

Austin said...

Good call on the race. Athletes who exist solely for race day get an awful return on their investment.

I know Blockbuster has the movie...checking out Netflix...could be a nice show on the trainer...

Powered by Blogger.

    Total Pageviews

    Page Counter