2012 Race Schedule

2012 is going to be a fun year for triathlons for me, but I'm going to admit, I wasn't even sure there was going to be a 2012 race season.

After tackling Ironman Texas in May, my feelings on racing were all over the place.  Part of the fun in training for me was to see if I could go further.  It was the excitement of the unknown.  Will I be able to finish my first Olympic distance? My first 70.3? My first Ironman?

So, being the endurance junkie that I am, I decided to sign up for a double marathon.  That's taking place on New Year's Eve and New Year's Day.  As, I've mentioned before that punches my ticket to be an official member of the Marathon Maniacs at the Iridium Level. Whoot!

But, it still left me questioning where I was going with the rest of my season.

I thought a lot about what I wanted out of racing and decided that really wanted to be able to do some new races in different areas (but not too far from home- the road trip from Texas to the USAT Age Group Nationals in Vermont was amazing, but maybe something like that every other year.)

The 70.3 distance really seems to suit my strengths and is more manageable for training for me. So, my (tentative) big goal is to qualify for the Redman/ Halfmax Long Course National Championships in Oklahoma City at Ironman New Orleans.

However, if for some reason I can swing it, I would quickly drop that to race the REV3 Cedar Point (Full!), which just happens to be on my birthday! There's also a full distance in Kerrville, TX in October.  That could work.  ;) I would do another full in a heartbeat. But, we'll see.  I think the smart plan is to stick on getting faster and stronger at the 70.3 distance.

So, here's what I have on the list, so far:

12/31- New Year's Double 26.2 

1/1- New Year's Double 26.2 

2/26- Cowtown Half Marathon 

4/22- Ironman New Orleans 70.3 

6/24- Ironman Buffalo Springs 70.3 (tent.)

8/5- Ironman Boulder 70.3
       (I am so excited that I am going to get to race this with my cousin, Julie-
        Her first Half Iron!)


9/22- Redman - Halfmax Long Course National Championships (70.3)

12/2- White Rock Marathon

What do you think?  Go for another full?  Stick with the 70.3's? Drop all the triathlons and go after running a 100-miler?  Ok.  Strike that last one, for now....

10 comments:

Karen said...

I kind of like the idea of doing a bunch of 70.3s like you have planned and maybe go for another full in 2013 (along with that 100 miler) :)

Christi said...

Wow, I think you have a great lookin' 2012 coming up. Personally, I would stick to 70.3s and then do another full in 2013. Choose one where we can race together! :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

I am a believer that every racer has their distance, the one they love to race. I say go do all the fun 70.3's you can find.

Julie said...

I'm planning on giving Boulder another try this year. It's a great course, but hot, however Coming from TX the heat probably won't be an issue for you. :) This reminds me that I really need to get registered too....

Unknown said...

You, me Buffalo Springs. I'll bring the beef jerky!

Unknown said...

Stick with the 70.3s... Merry Christmas, and continued success in 2011.

Jason said...

Well it looks like this is all set since you have it in the right hand sidebar.....

I think it looks good and you have to do what you think is right for yourself.

The idea of the 100 miler does sound intriguing though.

Michael said...

I think you have to do what makes you happy and keeps you having fun. Maybe you don't plan your whole schedule now. Do your first 70.3 and see if thats still satisfying...if not scrap the plan and do something different.

Unknown said...

Of course I'm super selfish and say race REV3 full because I'll be there and it'll be a fun birthday weekend to finally meet and for you to race another full! :)

Donna said...

What Michael said! Do what makes you happiest! I'll be at Redman this year, supporting my Training Buddy who had to defer his 140.6 last year. I won't be racing. Though there might be a relay opportunity this year.

Powered by Blogger.

    Total Pageviews

    Page Counter