I did not sign up for THIS!!


I'm starting to hyperventilate about Ironman Texas. 

Not because of the training. 

Not because of the fact I'm going to be going powering my body through 140.6 miles in crazy Texas heat and humidity.

Because, reports are coming in that there are snakes, freaking everywhere.  I won't even post a picture of one, because I HATE them so much.  I don't even buy anything that has a snakeskin print on it.  If one shows up on TV, the channel is changed.


Here's a couple of quotes from the Beginner Triathlete thread: 

"I usually see dead snakes on the course, but yesterday I almost ran over 3 live ones.  Two just scared me, but the third scared the **** out of me and I almost broke my cleat trying to get my leg away from it.  It jumped back, but it was a coral snake and I know they have some serious venom. "


"I saw 3 snakes on my run today.  One was dead, one was alive and small, and the other was about a 2 foot long moccasin and I did not get close enough to see if it was alive. "


I'm hoping that the fact that I'm an average age grouper, that the pros and the fast people will have scared them all away.  I am now very happy that there are going to be a whole heck of a lot of people swimming in the lake with me. 

I will be situating myself in the middle and will take what beatings may come, because if I see a freaking snake in the water, I'm likely to lose it.

Need.. a... brown paper bag...NOW!

16 comments:

LB said...

oh dear, that gives me the heebies just reading it!!! i did my first ever OWS last weekend. i was imagining that my wetsuit had a creature force-field that would protect me from everything. i hate OW!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

Nothing worse than watching a water mocassin swimming toward you at the start of an IM.... unless of course you see a shark swimming toward you in an ocean start.

Not to worry. Just pack a pistol in your Bento bag. I looked.... no WTC rule against fire arms on the course...

And given it is the day of the Rapture, according to Evangelical groups... snakes will be falling from the sky...

Julie said...

Hoping images of snakes in the water leave my mind before I do any open water swims.....

Here's hoping you don't see any..at all...dead...alive...water...land..

Unknown said...

I freaking HATE snakes too! They have been everywhere lately. Annie and our neighbors killed one in the yard this weekend!

Luckily snakes are even more scared of us so with 3000 people splashing around the last place you'll see one is in Lake Woodlands!

25 DAYS!!!! EEEKKKKK!!!!

Michael said...

This made me nervouse to my stomach just reading it. I hate snakes too and can't imagine encountering one on a bike or run....but would literally pass out if I saw one in the water. Good luck...hopefully they will be scared away when you head through!

Jason said...

No way a snake messes with a super duper ultra cool way awesome IM'er....NO WAY!

Don't let this get in your head....you are there to compete and not be the snake whisperer....

BTW - I will be there will bells on to root root root for IM TX Mommy!!!!!

Tri4Success said...

I have seen a lot of dead snakes this past few weeks but only one live one. In the water would definitely be the worst, but no problem - just save the person in front of you the trouble of kicking off your goggles during the swim and do it with your eyes closed. If you don't see them, they're not there ..... right? Either that or swim wicked fast. Yeah, that'd probably be better.

Jon said...

Woah! Talk about the last thing to expect in a race. CRAZY!

KovasP said...

I wonder if Zoot makes body armor?

Christi said...

Okay, that freaks me out. But I am sure the organizers will do their best to make sure the snakes are gone!

Unknown said...

Oh my... that's not cool at all! I hate snakes!!! Just think - you'll be so fast that they can't touch you! :)

Big Daddy Diesel said...

WHAT?!?!?! I am like you, HATE SNAKES!!! Crossing IMTX off my race list

Katie said...

fGAH, i hate snakes too! EEEKS

Unknown said...

As I was reading this I was thinking about how someone else that was doing triathlons in Florida was concerned for the alligators. Although we have snacks too, I haven't had to worry about them too much!!!

Just bring a bag just in case :)

Unknown said...

How terrifying! I must be super naive when it comes to tris b/c my fears are only drowning on the swim and flatting on the bike. Oh, and tornados.....
The more people I talk to the more things I have learned to be afraid of!

Karen said...

WHAAAATTTTTT? OH NO! Maybe the fact that there are so many people running / biking at that time it will keep them off the course. (hopefully...)

Powered by Blogger.

    Total Pageviews

    Page Counter