Role Models

After setting the world record for an Ironman race, Chrissie Wellington had this to say on her blog. And, to me, it is one of the most inspiring things I've ever read. Thank you Chrissie for being a great role model to women of all ages and for the sport of triathlon!

"...as with any ground breaking performance the inevitable questions arise. They are never directed to me. More whispered in the background, or implied in conversations with those who know me. They ask how it is possible to do what I did without the use of performance enhancing drugs. I don’t believe that silence is golden – and my brief response is this. I got into this sport almost by accident. Not for money, for glory or even for world records. Simply to see how good I could be. I had a talent that not even I knew I had. It took a few special people to help me realise that talent and hone me into the athlete I am today. But I devote my life to this sport. Putting my heart and soul into fulfilling my potential – mentally and physically. It requires sacrifice, hard work, determination and an ability to look beyond the physical boundaries that others set for you. I look in the mirror and I know that I am clean. I have never, nor will ever, take performance enhancing drugs. I don’t need to. What you all saw last weekend is the real me, putting my heart and soul on the line to test my limits and show that the bar can be raised.  This is a wonderful time for women in sport. Please, let us celebrate that."


From Chrissie Wellington's web site:
http://www.chrissiewellington.org/blog/challenge-roth-anything-is-possible/

3 comments:

Patty said...

Hey Shannon,
I am so excited that you started a blog. I just signed up for my first sprint triathlon on Sept 19th. I look forward to reading about your journey and already view you as one of my own role models.

Shannon (IronTexasMommy) said...

Oh my gosh Patty! That is soooo exciting!! Which sprint are you doing?

Patrick Mahoney said...

Hi Shannon, thanks for the follow...we where in Colin Cooks mentor group together at BT earlier in the year. I kind of bolted from BT save for logging training, the blog world has been way more engaging. Looking forward to seeing your writing...

Powered by Blogger.

    Total Pageviews

    Page Counter