I'm a Centurion!

Roman Centurion
I'm not sure if that's the correct terminology, for one that has ridden 100 miles+ on the bike, but whatever it is,  I'm finally a proud member!

While many of my fellow IMTX'ers- in training have already surpassed this mark, I've taken a very conservative approach on the bike, since it is one that I don't have a whole lot of experience in.

In other words, I've trusted my training. I've gradually built my base and have added hill training to the mix for strength, even if it meant not exceeding the distance.

Dreary day for a ride


But, on Wednesday, I set my course for an epic 112-mile ride.

I was supposed to ride on Friday, but the weather forecast in D/FW showed thunderstorms in store from Thursday- Monday, so I switched my day for riding.  Unfortunately this meant I wasn't going to get to ride with my good friend, Marcy- who is also training for IMTX.

Check out the wind via the flag.
Since I was riding alone, I opted for the Texas Motor Speedway.  I ride there a lot. It's safe. The roads are good.



It's a 5-mile loop with no scenery that blasts you with insane wind regardless of which direction you're riding.  This day was no exception.  Except that it was drizzling and overcast when I started, too.  Forecast said 72.  It was more like 65. So dreary.

Bring it IMTX!
I don't think my speedometer showed over 17mph the entire time. I was constantly getting hammered. I decided at some point to stop worrying about the time, focus on the distance and just do what had to be done. That was absolutely the best state of mind I could be in.




I finished the 112.5 miles tired, but not exhausted. There was more in me, which is encouraging. 

Ironman Texas - I am coming for you!  29 days.

14 comments:

Jason said...

The correct terminology is

STOTAN !!!!!

You should have called and I would have been your pace car.....

IMTX has got nothing on you my friend.

Christi said...

Wow, that was a monumental ride. Great job. You are going to rock IM Texas!

KC (my 140 point 6 mile journey) said...

That right there is an IM attitude and that is why you will be executing and nailing IMTX. seriously, you have the best outlook and you've put down a strong foundation. Great job today!! I read your description of the 5 mile loop to Joel and we laughed b/c the park where we ride at is a 7 mile loop and its called flatwoods but we call it windywoods. Never fails, wind all the time and today was no exception. And please, no jumps, cartwheels, splits, or anykind of cheerleader moves until after your big race!

Patrick Mahoney said...

That's the way to do it for sure. Bang it out mentally in adverse conditions and a point to point with (hopefully) better conditions and the excitement of a race will make it much easier...

RockStarTri said...

The mental benefits of this ride will pay dividends come race day. Well done!

Living The Tri Life said...

Very nicely done!!

Big Daddy Diesel said...

Whoa!!! You road in the same circle 22 and a half times? Oh wow, just wow, not only did you get your distance training in, you got some serious mental toughness training in. I am not sure if I would have cracked doing that, you freaking ROCK

Tri4Success said...

3 laps there at the TMS Duathlon was enough for me. I can't imagine the mind-numbing impact of doing that loop 23 times - nothing but concrete and wind. Kudos to you!

Sounds like IMTX should get ready for you. You're clearly ready for it.

Unknown said...

Congrats! Well I'm glad I'm not the only one that will ride around a 5 mile loop just to get time saddle time in!!! You will do awesome in 29 days!

Austin said...

Congrats on passing another landmark. YOu're gonna kill IMTX!

Karen said...

CONGRATS! I think you deserve extra credit for doing it on a 5 mile loop. That has to feel good to get that milestone past you. Nice job :)

Unknown said...

That is pretty badass!

Great attitude Shannon!

Lucas R. Tucker said...

CONGRATS!!! Doing it alone makes you even stronger in my book, I ride alone for every trainig ride and now how kuch harder that makes things. WAY TO GO!!

ONEHOURIRONMAN said...

I like safety also. I could have hit the roads today but stuck to a safe trail.
You just have to do what you have to do.
You're ready!

Powered by Blogger.

    Total Pageviews

    Page Counter